Subject: Algebra I
Teacher: Mr. Aguilar Room 223 McCollum HS
In this course we will improve our number sense and numeracy (that is, our general mathematical skills) as we explore: number & algebraic methods; linear functions, equations, & inequalities; quadratic functions & equations; and exponential functions & equations.
EACH STUDENT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HAVING THE FOLLOWING:
1. PENCILS – All work must be done in pencil.
2. Notebook paper.
3. A set of dividers.
4. Extra pencils, erasers, and paper.
Note: Should you & your family have difficulty providing these supplies at any time throughout the year, please see Mr. Henry Bernal (campus social worker) or Ms. Rachel Vargas (Communities In Schools site coordinator).
- Each student will be given a ½-inch binder.
- A TI-84 Graphing Calculator will be provided for CLASSROOM USE ONLY. Note: There are many calculator emulator apps available (such as Wabbitemu for Android devices) which can always be used on your mobile devices outside of class.
- A copy of McGraw Hill Education’s Texas Algebra 1 will be provided for classroom use only. However, each student will also have a subscription to the textbook & accompanying features online through connected.mcgraw-hill.com.
Student Expectations and Rules:
- Always put forth your maximum effort.
- Demonstrate respect for yourself and others.
- Participate every day. Take an active role in your learning.
- Raise your hand for permission to speak or leave your seat.
- Cell phones & other personal electronics should be out of sight and silent at all times.
Formative – 40%
- Daily Work/Participation – 30%
- Homework- 10%
Summative – 60%
- Tests – 40%
- Quizzes/projects– 20%
Late work will, of course, not receive full credit. Furthermore, no assignment will be accepted more than two weeks late, or after the last Thursday of a grading period.
After any absence, it is the student’s responsibility to pick-up notes missed & complete assignments missed. Tutoring with Mr. Aguilar is available on Mondays after school 4:10- 5:10 p.m., Thursdays before school 7:15- 8:10am, or by appointment. Re-tests (for quizzes and tests) will be available on specific days but will likely be modified from the test originally given. Parents should communicate with the teacher/school if a student misses an extended period of time for whatever reason.
Questions, Comments, and Concerns: